May 2nd, 2018 at Lake Bemidji State Park in Bemidji, MN.
When did the national program start?
- The North American Envirothon program started in 1979 in Pennsylvania.
- Districts sponsored the program as an outdoor hands-on competition.
- Minnesota held its first Envirothon in 1993 with 100 students from the Twin Cities area participating.
- The following year, several Soil and Water Conservation Districts throughout Minnesota organized area competitions.
- By 1996, all Minnesota districts held area competitions. Now, up to 1,200 students participate throughout the state.
The North Central Envirothon includes schools from the following counties:
Beltrami, Cass, Clearwater, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake of the Woods, and Wadena.